Friday, February 17, 2017

What Next?

I've been wanting write this post for a while now. But I just haven't got around to it. Until now.

I saw this Telugu movie a week back called 'Nenu Local'. There was this one song that starts playing after the MC announces that he's finally passed his bachelor's course and everyone starts asking 'What next?'. He's upset because, nowadays, instead of congratulating people on graduating, they start asking what they plan to do next.
I found this absolutely hilarious because I've faced a variation of this for the last year or so.

So it's common knowledge that I moved from the U.S.A an odd 6 years ago. I'm almost done with my Bachelors and am hoping to start working sometime at the end of this year. 
People have been shocked at this. 'Why would you not want to go back to America?'
'You don't want to do M.S. in U.S.?'  

I'd decided; with the help of my family, that going for further studies right now isn't the right thing for ME. I want to work for a while and get an understanding of the IT industry, get some hands-on experience, experience the work environment, learn new things, etc. 
When I explained this to people about 2 years ago, they'd still think it was strange that I wasn't leaving to the U.S. 
As we got into our final year of B.Tech, more people started understanding what I meant. They thought it made sense.
I'd say that after a year or so of working, maybe I'd go do my Masters then. People were very accepting of this plan. 

That's alright up to there.
But the thing is, do you really know what you'll be doing 3 years from now. Can you tell me for sure that is definitely where you're going to be and that is precisely what you'll be doing ? 

If not for some bizarre situation where every single thing in your life happens exactly the way you think it well, I'm pretty sure that you can't even imagine what will happen. 

Life is sometimes unpredictable. So don't be so be caught up in the future and rigidly fix yourself to things. 
I hope this is coming across the way I mean it.
I'm not saying goals are stupid. Ambitions and hopes are awesome! Always have a plan. But don't assume that the plan will always go through perfectly, without a hitch. 

I like to let life take me on my great adventure. I'm not going to sit here and say, I'll only work for 365 days and afterwards I'll be off to do this and that. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. And I'm perfectly fine with that. 
I'm willing to just be caught in the current and see what happens. 

So I say, I'll probably work for a while and then do my masters afterwards. 'Probably?'
Yes, probably. Who know what'll happen? Maybe I'll write a novel. Maybe I'll tour the world. Maybe I'll be a blogger. Hahahha. Maybe I don't know and I don't mind. 


Someone will probably ask me "What next?". I will smile and say the same thing I always say. I hope they understand that everything isn't in stone.
I mean, just imagine how funny it'd be if they turned up years later, saying. "I thought you said you'd work 365 days. But you worked for 370 days."

[Not literally so foolishly, but you get the gist.]


No comments:

Post a Comment